FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: CITY LIVING Send up to three poems on the subject of or just using either the words city and/or living totaling up to 150 lines in length in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on February 16th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: City Living will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, February 17th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Matt McGee

HIGH-RISE

 

I like to stare up into high-rise buildings at night

through the windshield of my speeding car,

their windows lit

here and there

like a hockey players mouth.

 

And I often think I see

the silhouettes of men,

hands on their hips,

staring down at me,

not in judgment,

but rather

watching a pageant

they can't join.

 

And I feel safe,

and, somehow

vaguely important.

 

 

 

SEVEN BOOKS AND A BUSRIDE LATER

 


I dropped $81.60 on the counter

of the famous poets retail outlet
an hour after getting my room,

two hours after getting off the plane

hoping to disappear into the Marina District

while the girlfriend cools down

back in L.A.

As the guy swipes my card,
through the open doorway

a flock of pigeons begin loitering.

I set my loaf of bread on the counter

secured from the bakery across the street.

He watches me sign my slip

and sees the pigeons, too.

 

“They know you’re holding,” he says.

I ran back to the electric bus

shaking crumbs as I went;
poles bent against the wires
as an old lady prattled in Chinese
at least I assumed it was Chinese
this being Chinatown.
Six tourists rambled excitedly in German
at least I assumed they're tourists
by the cartoonish city map they passed around

and regular use of the word ‘scheisse.’
Not me, sir
I hid my goofy, hotel-issued city map,

a trick learned the hard way in London

to keep pick-pockets from easily spotting
the out-of-town dumb ass.


A few blocks later the passengers all changed
and multiplied ten fold, all fresh-faced kids,

a Canadian dance troupe crammed in. 
A few blocks later their tide receded
leaving me across from a sandy brunette

her slim face revealed by a well-placed barrette

that tugged like a plastic tiara.
White iPod buds swayed with the turns
and she looked up when the bus hits a good bump;

sparks flew off the roof, the lights flickered

the bus slowed to the curb a moment.

I clutched my stack of books

from the famous poets retail outlet,

the brunette looked at me

and smiled a thin, young reassuring smile
and suddenly
I am the city.

 

1 comment:

  1. Written on a Blackberry in the back of a city bus bouncing through the Bay Area in 2009. The girlfriend had thought that screaming through a phone and flurry-texting in all caps were communication skills, so I got on a train that led to a bus that crawled through Salinas at sundown and slid into the Marina District. I turned off the cell and went to a City Lights event at Ft. Mason, and by morning I had a whole slew of new friends and a stack of fresh reading material

    ReplyDelete

Alicia Mathias

CAN YOU HEAR THE CRIES of families  caught  in the middle of their own  city  while it burns  still beautiful, he says as memories float  ov...